Welcome to the
USS FINCH
Website

 

Home      History      Reunions      Newsletters      Photo Gallery      Bulletin Board      Contact Us

   

 

The USS FINCH was named in honor of Lieutenant Joseph Warren Finch, Jr., USNR, born in Chicago, Illinois 3/8/1920 and died on 11/13/1942 when his ship, USS Laffey DD459 was sunk off the Solomon Islands. The Finch was first launched on 8/28/1943 at Orange Texas as the USS Finch DE 328. The USS Finch was commissioned three times.

The Finch was first commissioned on 12/13/1943 and took on its officers and initial crew of 182 sailors under the command of Lieutenant Commander Albert H. Nienau, USNR. During its operation from 8/28/1943 until 3/6/1947, the Finch entered 63 ports from the eastern and western ports of the USA through the Atlantic Ocean, the Mediterranean Sea and the Pacific Ocean. The Finch participated in 18 Convoys as an escort for a variety of naval and commercial ships. The Finch entered drydock at Green Cove Springs, Florida on 10/4/1946 under the command of Lieutenant Commander R. L. Tully but was not finally decommissioned until 3/6/1947.

The USS Finch has been holding annual reunions since 1988. Last year's reunion was held in Washington D.C.. A great time was had by all. 

Click Here for more information about past and upcoming reunions.

To view a more complete History of the USS Finch  read the following document prepared by Chuck Poreda who served as a Lieutenant aboard the USS Finch DER328 from 1961 to 1962. This remarkable document was compiled by Chuck at great expense and time and should be read by all historians interested in the history of the USS Finch. Please also note the three other documents decribing the History of each Finch encarnation provided by Chuck in the articles to the right.

Click Here to read the complete History of the USS Finch.

 


Click To Enlarge
USS FINCH DE 328

Click Here to read the History of the USS Finch DE.

The Finch was first commissioned on 12/13/1943 and took on its officers and initial crew of 182 sailors under the command of Lieutenant Commander Albert H. Nienau, USNR.


Click To Enlarge
USCGC FINCH WDE 428

Click Here to read the History of the USCGC Finch.

The Finch was re-activated in July of 1951 as a US Coast Guard Destroyer Escort and recommissioned 8/24/1951 under command of Commander G. R. Boyce, Jr., USCG with a crew of only 108 men. 

 



Click To Enlarge
USS FINCH DER 328

Click Here to read the History of the USS Finch DER.

The Finch was again recommissioned on 8/17/1956 after entering drydock on 10/1/1955 to be retrofitted from a Coast Guard Cutter to a Radar Picket Escort Vessel (DER) under the command of Lieutenant Commander James K. Athow of Tacoma, Washington. 

 

_________________________________

Click her for new information on DUES

View our Crew Directory Here

If you would like to make a suggestion
or wish to contact any of our officials,
please send email to:

rsresnick@verizon.net